Damage Prevention and Safety
Enbridge’s wind and solar farms typically are located on leased land.
Understanding the Right-of-Way
A right-of-way (ROW) is an area or strip of land containing Enbridge’s wind and solar facilities. The ROW:
- Allows our workers access for inspection, maintenance, testing or in an emergency.
- Identifies an area where certain activities are prohibited to protect public safety and the integrity of Enbridge’s facilities.
Enbridge's ROW at our wind farms includes the footprint of the wind turbines themselves, as well as overhead or buried high-voltage cables located anywhere within the leased area.
Our ROW at our solar farms is contained within the fenced solar farm itself and on Enbridge property outside the fence.
Integral to our wind and solar farms are high-voltage substations, which are located on leased or Enbridge-owned land near the farms. These substations are fenced and no public entry is permitted.
We make landowners in the vicinity of our wind farms aware – and we want the general public to be aware, too – that buried high-voltage power lines are located both inside and outside the perimeter of the wind farms.
At our solar farms, buried high-voltage power lines are contained only within the fenced perimeter of the solar farm. There are no buried power lines outside the fenced perimeter.
To protect people and ensure their safety, federal and provincial/state laws require anyone planning to excavate near the right-of-way to call theirlocal toll-free one-call number in advance of any excavation.
Even though buried high-voltage cables are identified above-ground by power-line markers, the marker may not necessarily be directly over the power line.
That's why it's important to contact Enbridge directly at least three days before you do any type of excavation in any area that you believe might be on or near an Enbridge ROW, including:
- fixing or improving an existing ditch, drain tile or fence
- building a berm
- constructing roads, paving, parking, driveways, ditches, railways, overhead or underground utilities
- installing fence posts
- altering the grade or deep tilling the soil
- operating non-agricultural equipment or vehicles on or over the ROW
- encroaching on the ROW with services or other utilities
The construction of buildings, foundations or stockpiling of materials is prohibited on the ROW.
Enbridge representatives must be on-site to supervise any excavation near the ROW.
Please contact Enbridge for any specific ROW questions you have.