PennEast Pipeline Project
The PennEast pipeline will reliably meet growing energy demand in New Jersey and Pennsylvania while providing environmental and economic benefits to the region, and will transport enough clean, affordable and abundant natural gas to serve 4.7 million homes.
This project will provide Enbridge with a strategic opportunity to leverage existing assets by directly connecting northeast Pennsylvania Marcellus shale production to the Texas Eastern Transmission and Algonquin Gas Transmission systems, and will allow Enbridge to further strengthen its relationship with some of its biggest customers.Visit the PennEast Pipeline Project website
- Type: Natural gas pipeline
- Status: Under review
- Length: 118 miles
- Peak day capacity: 1.1 billion cubic feet per day (Bcf/d)
- Expected to transport: Natural gas
- Expected in-service date: 2020
- Ownership: Enbridge Inc. (20%). Other partners include: Southern Company Gas; NJR Pipeline Company, a subsidiary of New Jersey Resources; South Jersey Industries; and UGI Energy Services (UGIES), a subsidiary of UGI Corporation.
- Operator: UGI Energy Services
- FERC docket number: CP15-558-000
- Project website: Click here
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) exclusively authorizes the construction of new interstate natural gas facilities. FERC is also the lead federal agency responsible for conducting environmental reviews of interstate natural gas projects in compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
PennEast filed with FERC an application for a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity for the PennEast Pipeline Project on September 24, 2015, and was assigned FERC Docket No. CP15-558-000. PennEast received its FERC Certificate in January 2018.
Prior to filing a formal application, PennEast participated in FERC’s Pre-file process, Docket No. PF15-1-000, conducting a series of activities including meetings with landowners, public officials, government agencies and community members to provide information and gather input for the project.
Following the application filing, the Pre-file docket number (PF15-1-000) was converted to FERC Docket No. CP15-558-000.
Pending regulatory approval, PennEast anticipates an in-service date in 2020.