South Texas Expansion Project
The South Texas Expansion Project (STEP) is a mainline reversal and expansion project in South Texas, an area with increasing load from the market in Mexico.
- Type: Natural gas pipeline
- Status: Under review
- Peak day capacity: 400,000 dekatherms per day (Dth/d)
- Expected to transport: Natural gas
- Expected in-service date: 4Q 2018
- Ownership: Enbridge Inc. (100%)
- FERC Docket Number: CP15-499-000
The STEP Project submitted a formal application to the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) on May 22, 2015, and was assigned docket number CP15-499-000. On Feb. 15, 2018, FERC issued its order issuing certificates and approving abandonment.
The FERC exclusively authorizes the construction of new interstate natural gas facilities.
The FERC is also the lead federal agency responsible for conducting environmental reviews of interstate natural gas projects in compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act.