Sustainability at Enbridge
At Enbridge, sustainability is woven into everything we do. It’s embedded in our values, the work we do, the operational risks we manage and the way we govern ourselves as a company.
Building Sustainable Connections
At Enbridge, sustainability is not a standalone function or an isolated concept. Our commitment to sustainability is embedded within our values, our standards for the work we do and our vision to be the leading energy delivery company in North America.
Our Approach to Sustainability
Sustainability is integral to our decision-making and business performance. It directly supports delivery of our business strategy by helping us be responsive to customer needs, manage risk, attract, motivate and retain talent, and bring value to the communities we serve.
Sustainability at Enbridge means:
- Conducting business in a socially responsible and ethical manner— acting with integrity and modeling best practices.
- Protecting the environment and the safety of people—preparing Enbridge for the transition to a low-carbon economy and maintaining a culture that places safety above all else.
- Supporting human rights, diversity and inclusion—embracing an environment in which all our employees feel valued and inspired, and have the opportunity to be successful in their careers.
- Engaging, respecting, learning from and supporting the communities and cultures with which we work—building win-win relationships in the communities where we operate and live.
Corporate responsibility at Enbridge is guided by a number of policies and practices to ensure our standards are implemented throughout the organization—including our Corporate Social Responsibility Policy, Statement on Business Conduct, Supplier Code of Conduct and Indigenous Peoples Policy. These policies and other frameworks help us manage sustainability-related risks and execute on our strategic corporate priorities.
Sustainably Delivering on our Strategy
As we’ve integrated and streamlined our company following the acquisition of Spectra Energy in 2017, we’ve had the chance to learn from one another and ensure that sustainability is understood and embedded across all business units, functions and regions. We identified five priorities to deliver on our strategy:
- We integrate environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations into our business decision-making and performance.
- We proactively engage with our diverse stakeholders in order to gain better understanding of the issues most important to them.
- We innovate to develop new collaborative approaches to sustainability challenges.
- We have strong governance to ensure accountability and oversight of our operations and performance.
- We strive for transparency and robust disclosure to measure, report and evaluate our performance on environmental and social performance.
Enbridge recognizes the importance of corporate culture as a value driver and essential enabler to long-term success. Our success in executing on our strategic priorities is very much dependent on the way we conduct our business and the quality and capabilities of our people. These elements provide the foundation required to achieve our objectives and longer term vision. We seek employees and cultivate leaders at all levels who thrive in the Enbridge environment of accountability, respect, high-performance and innovation.
We believe that the outcome of living our values is a long-term, sustainable company. To us that means, delivering the energy people need and want in a way that is environmentally, socially and economically responsible.