Enbridge operates the world’s longest and most complex crude oil and liquids transportation system, with approximately 24,738 kilometres (15,372 miles) of crude pipeline across North America.
- We deliver an average of 2.2 million barrels of crude oil and liquids every day, with a 99.9993% safe delivery record over the past decade while moving nearly 14 billion barrels of crude.
- We export 65 per cent of Western Canadian oil, which represents 13 per cent of the U.S.’s daily crude oil imports.
- On any single day, Enbridge is the largest single conduit of oil into the U.S. We move close to 100 separate commodities, including more than 100 types of refined products.
We are the leading pipeline operator in both Canada’s oil sands region (the second-largest resource play in the world, with an estimated 170 billion barrels of proven recoverable reserves) and the rapidly growing Bakken formation in Canada and the United States. We are currently engaged in the largest capital program in our 65-year history — with $36-billion in commercially secured growth investments across all our business segments, as of March 2014. All of these projects are planned to be in service by 2016.
To link growing producing regions to the best markets, and to provide refineries in Canada and the U.S. with reliable North American crude oil, we’re moving ahead with a range of initiatives to provide producers increased transportation capacity of crude oil and in particular for growing supplies of light crude oil. Three of our initiatives — Light Oil Market Access; Eastern Access; and Western Gulf Coast Access — are already commercially secured and, combined, will open up new markets for up to 1.7 million barrels per day (bpd) of crude oil by 2016.
Find out where and how we’re growing. Read all about our market access initiatives, our Mainline and regional expansions, and our commercially secured growth projects through 2017.
View Enbridge's liquids pipeline system information.
Enbridge transports natural gas all over North America:
- Our Western Canada operations include interest in Vector and Alliance pipelines. The Alliance System transports natural gas from the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin to the U.S. Midwest. Connecting with the Alliance System at Chicago, the Vector Pipeline provides natural gas supplies for local distribution and end-user customers in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ontario.
- In Texas, through Enbridge Energy Partners, a large natural gas gatherer and processor, we connect three of the top four areas for natural gas development in the United States. Enbridge Energy Partners transports about 15 per cent of Texas natural gas production.
With its unique ability to transport liquids-rich gas, Alliance Pipeline is ideally positioned to benefit from production growth in a number of liquids-rich natural gas shale plays, particularly the Bakken play, as well as the Montney and Duvernay plays in British Columbia and Alberta. In the United States in 2013, we enhanced access for mid-continent natural gas liquids to the Gulf Coast market when we put into service the 280,000 bpd Texas Express Pipeline.
View Enbridge's natural gas pipeline system information.
Enbridge is the largest gas gatherer and transporter in the Gulf of Mexico, a prolific natural gas region, handling 40% of total offshore gas production and 45% of total ultra deep gas production.
Enbridge Offshore Pipelines has interests in 13 transmission and gathering pipelines in five major pipeline corridors in Louisiana and Mississippi offshore waters. These pipelines include almost 1,500 miles (2,400 kilometres) of underwater pipe and offshore facilities and transport approximately 2.3 billion cubic feet per day.
In 2014, we will see a full-year contribution from our expanded Venice condensate stabilization facility, which went into service in the fourth quarter of 2013, as well as the completion of the first phase of the Walker Ridge Gas Gathering System. Looking ahead, we expect the second phase of the Walker Ridge Gas Gathering System as well as the Big Foot Oil Pipeline to be in service in 2015, and the Heidelberg Lateral Pipeline to be operational by 2016.
View Enbridge's offshore pipeline system information.