Enbridge's economic impact on Mississippi
As the world’s population grows, we’ll need all forms of energy—crude oil, natural gas, renewables—to meet rising global energy demand.
As a company with both pipelines and wind turbines, Enbridge is delivering energy security and driving transformation toward a lower-carbon economy. And we’re proud to deliver economic benefits in the U.S. states and the Canadian provinces where we do business.
Enbridge’s ongoing operations, and planned projects, continue to stimulate local and regional economies. Through procurement spending, we’re helping to create indirect employment, support local businesses, and establish economic spinoffs. In 2016:
- Across the United States, our capital expenditures totaled $1.5 billion, while operating and administrative expenditures totaled $1.76 billion.
Enbridge’s people live and work in communities like yours as colleagues, neighbors and friends. In 2016:
- Enbridge’s workforce included 13 Mississippi-based permanent and temporary employees at year’s end;
- Enbridge paid more than $824,000 in base salary to our Mississippi-based permanent and temporary employees—much of that injected directly into the state economy; and
- On a national scale, Enbridge had an American workforce of 2,547 permanent and temporary employees, and provisioned contractors, at year's end, and paid $203.8 million in base salary to our permanent and temporary employees in the U.S.
Enbridge’s presence in the community fuels quality of life through ongoing tax revenue. In 2016:
- Enbridge paid $193,300 in property tax across Mississippi for our pipelines and related facilities, such as separation facilities and stabilizers, and other liquids transportation infrastructure;
- Enbridge paid $465,000 in corporate income tax, $164,400 in other taxes (such as payroll tax, fuel tax, and excise tax), and $32,500 in sales-and-use taxes across the state of Mississippi; and
- On a national scale, Enbridge paid $229.57 million in property taxes, $20.29 million in sales and use taxes, $13.4 million in corporate income tax, and $22.82 million in other taxes (including payroll tax, fuel tax, and excise tax) across the U.S., for a total of $286.09 million.
This revenue is used for schools, infrastructure (roads and bridges), health and wellness, recreation, transportation and other services that help strengthen the fabric of the community.
Enbridge is committed to supporting and strengthening the communities near our pipelines and facilities, and being a good neighbor means the world to us. In 2016:
- Enbridge invested $3,000 in community-strengthening initiatives across Mississippi—and supported numerous not-for-profit agencies in the state—aligned to our three focus areas of health and safety, environment, and community;
- Across North America, Enbridge invested more than $13.4 million in communities near our pipelines, projects and facilities, supporting initiatives that focus on health and safety, environment, and community; and
- Enbridge’s various employee-driven United Way campaigns from across the U.S. and Canada raised $5.93 million. That total, which includes employee donations, special events, and corporate matching, will help sustain community outreach, poverty reduction, and educational initiatives being coordinated by United Way chapters near Enbridge’s projects and operations.
*—All amounts are based on annual forecasting estimates which, while reasonably accurate, may not align precisely with procurement spending totals reported elsewhere by Enbridge and may not reflect actual amounts spent.