Enbridge's economic impact on Nevada
As the world’s population grows, we’ll need all forms of energy—crude oil, natural gas, renewables—to meet rising global energy demand.
As a company with both pipelines and wind turbines, Enbridge is delivering energy security while also pursuing company sustainability goals and driving transformation toward a lower-carbon economy. And we’re proud to deliver economic benefits in the states where we do business.
Enbridge’s presence in the community fuels quality of life through ongoing tax revenue. In 2021:
- Enbridge paid $453,000 in property tax in Nevada for our energy generation facilities.
- On a national scale, Enbridge paid $521.4 million in property tax, $32.2 million in sales-and-use taxes, $30.5 million in corporate income tax, and $49.5 million in other taxes (including franchise tax and payroll taxes) across the U.S., for a total of $633.7 million.
This revenue can be used for schools, infrastructure (roads and bridges), health and wellness, recreation, transportation and other services that help strengthen the fabric of the community.
Enbridge’s ongoing operations, and planned projects, continue to stimulate local and regional economies. Through procurement spending, we’re helping to create indirect employment, support local businesses, and establish economic spinoffs. In 2021:
- Our operating and administrative expenditures in Nevada, on such items as maintenance costs, equipment leases, power consumption, and field personnel salaries and wages, totaled $1.9 million.
- Across the United States, Enbridge’s capital expenditures (on such items as pipe steel, equipment purchases and replacement, system integrity-related investments, and capital leases) totaled $4.45 billion, while our operating and administrative expenditures totaled $2.96 billion.
Enbridge is committed to supporting and strengthening the communities near our pipelines and facilities, and being a good neighbor means the world to us.
- Across the U.S., through our Fueling Futures program, Enbridge invested more than $6.8 million in communities near our pipelines, projects and facilities in 2021, supporting initiatives that focus on health and safety, environment, and community.
- Enbridge’s various employee-driven United Way campaigns across North America raised more than $4.1 million in 2021. That total, which includes employee donations, special events and corporate matching, helps sustain community outreach, poverty reduction, and educational initiatives being coordinated by United Way chapters near Enbridge’s projects and operations.
- In 2021, through our Safe Community First Responder Program, we donated more than $1 million to dozens of American emergency responder organizations located near Enbridge’s projects and operations; these donations are earmarked for safety equipment, professional training or safety education programming that keeps communities safe.
Enbridge’s people live and work in communities like yours as colleagues, neighbors and friends. In 2021:
- On a national scale, Enbridge had an American workforce of 4,192 permanent and temporary employees, and provisioned contractors, at year’s end, and paid more than $355.9 million in total wages to our permanent and temporary employees in the U.S.
*—All amounts are based on annual forecasting estimates which, while reasonably accurate, may not align precisely with procurement spending totals reported elsewhere by Enbridge and may not reflect actual amounts spent.