Natural gas, supercooled during the liquefaction process to become LNG, is transported by sea via carrier, warmed up (regasified) and delivered via pipeline to consumers.
Woodfibre LNG will help reduce the world’s greenhouse gas emissions by expanding global access to natural gas, displacing coal in power generation.
Enbridge Inc. and Pacific Energy Corporation Limited announced in July 2022 an agreement to jointly invest in the construction and operation of the Woodfibre LNG project.
Woodfibre LNG is a 2.1 million-tonne-per-year liquefied natural gas (LNG) export facility with 250,000 m3 of floating storage capacity being built near Squamish, BC. The project is underpinned by two long-term offtake agreements with BP Gas Marketing Limited for 15 years representing 70% of the capacity, with additional commitments in development for up to 90%.
Woodfibre LNG announced in April that it had issued Notice to Proceed to global engineering and construction company McDermott International and that the project is expected to be in service in 2027.
Under the partnership agreement, Enbridge will invest in a 30% ownership stake in the US$5.1-billion Woodfibre LNG project, with Pacific Energy retaining the remaining 70% stake in the facility.
Capital for the project includes a contribution in the aid of construction for the expansion of Fortis’ Eagle Mountain pipeline system which will connect the facility through the FortisBC system to Enbridge’s T-South natural gas transmission system.
Woodfibre LNG is the first project approved under the Canadian federal government’s “Five Principles” for environmental assessment, and has received all major federal, provincial and First Nations approvals.
Visit the Woodfibre LNG project website.
LNG and the Environment
LNG is Canada’s opportunity to provide clean natural gas to growing markets in Asia, displacing coal and reducing greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
Woodfibre LNG will use electric motor drives powered by renewable hydroelectric power. Once operational, Woodfibre LNG will be one of the lowest-emission LNG export facilities in the world.
Woodfibre LNG is the first project approved under the Government of Canada’s “Five Principles” for environmental assessment, and has received all major federal, provincial and First Nations approvals. Learn more.