Safety is not just a core value at Enbridge. Ensuring the safety of communities and the environment will always be our top priority—and it’s the foundation of everything we do.
Fond Du Lac Line 4
Project Description: Planned removal and relocation of an above-grade section of Line 4 using modern below grade construction techniques to make the area more accessible to tribal members for traditional land uses, restore wetland hydrology, and better protect Line 4 from third party damage.
Project Name: Fond du Lac Line 4 Project – St. Louis and Carlton Counties, MN on Fond du Lac Reservation
Construction Timing: Upon receipt of permits, 2020
Length: Approximately 10-mile relocation segment along the Enbridge mainline corridor
Crude oil is refined into petroleum products we use every day – from fuel for our cars to heating oil for our homes to the clothes we wear, medical products on which we rely, and the household products we buy.
Enbridge has been transporting North American crude oil to U.S. refineries through underground pipelines for decades safely and reliably. The safe operation and maintenance of our pipelines is Enbridge’s top priority.
The original installation of Line 4 in the early 1970s on the Fond du Lac Reservation (FDL) was above-grade mound construction in areas of heavily saturated soils. Concerns about land use and wetland hydrology on FDL have been raised related to the above-grade section.
This is a planned pipeline relocation project requested by the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa. In coordination with the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa, and upon successful permitting, Enbridge will install a new 36-inch diameter segment of Line 4, and deactivate and remove the existing above-grade 48-inch diameter segment of pipe through the Reservation.
The approximately 10-mile relocation segment will be installed along the Enbridge mainline corridor.
Line 4 continues to operate safely and with the new relocated segment of pipe, this project will help restore traditional land use for the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and support the continued safe and reliable delivery of energy we all use.
- View the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission filings by clicking on the link below and adding docket number 18 to the “Year” box then 752 to “Number” box: https://www.edockets.state.mn.us/EFiling/edockets/searchDocuments.do?method=eDocketsResult&userType=public
- Toll free phone number: 855-788-7812
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Project Fact Sheet
- MPUC REVISED Route Permit and Partial Exemption Application - The docket number for this project is PL9/PPL-18-752.
- Fond du Lac of Lake Superior Chippewa Project Support Letter - MPUC Filing
- Enbridge Mitigation Plans