Enbridge's presence in Illinois now dates back a full half-century.
Since 1969, Enbridge’s employees and contractors have lived and worked in communities throughout Illinois as colleagues, neighbors, and friends.
Being a good neighbor is a top priority for us, and we work hard to live up to that “good neighbor” status in a variety of ways—economically, socially, and culturally. As a company, and as individuals who live and work in communities across Illinois, we want to make our communities safer, healthier, smarter, greener, more enriching, and more inspiring.
We actively partner with organizations that champion solutions for health and safety, environment and the community.
- In 2018, through our Community Investment program, we invested more than $177,000 in community-strengthening organizations across our rights-of-way in Illinois.
- We offer Enbridge Energy Company Pipeline Industry Awareness Scholarships to academic institutions for students pursuing an education in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields. Since 2012, we’ve awarded more than $140,000 in scholarships to 10 institutions across Illinois.
- Our Safe Community program helps underwrite special projects, training and equipment acquisitions for local first responder groups in the area in which we operate. The Safe Community awards grants of up to $7,500 for safety equipment, professional training or education programs for these organizations. In 2018, Enbridge awarded $1 million in grants to North American emergency responder organizations.
- Our Emergency Responder Education Program equips first responders with the essential information they need to respond in the unlikely event of a pipeline incident, through free, unlimited, online training.
- Through our Public Awareness programs, we engage in an open dialogue with our neighbors in the communities near our projects and operations, providing pipeline safety information to the people who live and work along our pipeline routes.
Enbridge has been part of Illinois’s economic and social fabric for 50 years, and we plan on being part of it for many more.