Enbridge’s economic impact on Maine
As the world’s population grows, we’ll need all forms of energy—oil, natural gas, renewables—to meet rising global energy demand.
As a company with both pipelines and wind turbines, Enbridge is delivering energy security while also pursuing company sustainability goals and driving transformation toward a lower-carbon economy. And we’re proud to deliver economic benefits in the states where we do business.
Read or download our fact sheet detailing Enbridge's economic impact on Maine.
Enbridge’s presence in the community fuels quality of life through ongoing tax revenue. In 2022:
- Enbridge paid more than $8.5 million in property tax across Maine for our pipelines and related facilities, such as terminals, storage facilities and pump/compressor stations.
- Enbridge paid $364,000 in corporate income tax and $262,200 in sales-and-use taxes across Maine.
- On a national scale, Enbridge paid $580.1 million in property tax, $123.4 million in corporate income tax, $56.6 million in sales-and-use taxes, and $48.8 million in other taxes (including franchise tax and payroll taxes) across the U.S., for a total of $809.1 million.
This revenue can be used for schools, infrastructure (roads and bridges), health and wellness, recreation, transportation and other services that help strengthen the fabric of the community.
Enbridge’s people live and work in communities like yours as colleagues, neighbors and friends. In 2022:
- Enbridge’s workforce included 40 Maine-based permanent and temporary employees, and provisioned contractors, at year’s end.
- Enbridge paid more than $3.6 million in total wages to our Maine-based permanent and temporary employees—much of that injected directly into the state economy.
- On a national scale, Enbridge had an American workforce of 4,132 permanent and temporary employees, and provisioned contractors, at year’s end, and paid more than $367.3 million in total wages to our permanent and temporary employees in the U.S.
Enbridge’s ongoing operations, and planned projects, continue to stimulate local and regional economies. Through procurement spending, we’re helping to create indirect employment, support local businesses, and establish economic spinoffs. In 2022:
- Our capital expenditures in Maine, on such items as pipe steel, equipment purchases and replacement, system integrity-related investments, and capital leases, totaled $0.48 million.
- Our operating and administrative expenditures in Maine, on such items as maintenance costs, equipment leases, power consumption, and field personnel salaries and wages, exceeded $9.5 million.
- Across the United States, Enbridge’s capital expenditures totaled nearly $2 billion, while our operating and administrative expenditures totaled nearly $3.4 billion.
Enbridge is committed to supporting and strengthening the communities near our pipelines and facilities, and being a good neighbor means the world to us.
- In 2022, through our Fueling Futures program, Enbridge invested $50,000 in community-strengthening initiatives across Maine. We supported numerous not-for-profit agencies across the state aligned to our three focus areas of health and safety, environment, and community.
- Across the U.S., through our Fueling Futures program, Enbridge invested nearly $6.4 million in communities near our pipelines, projects and facilities in 2022 through grants, sponsorships, and employee volunteering and giving.
- Enbridge’s various employee-driven United Way campaigns across North America raised $3.5 million in 2022. That total, which includes employee donations, special events and corporate matching, helps sustain community outreach, poverty reduction, and educational initiatives being coordinated by United Way chapters near Enbridge’s projects and operations.
- In 2022, through our Safe Community First Responder Program, we donated just under $1 million to 144 American emergency responder organizations located near Enbridge’s projects and operations; these donations are earmarked for safety equipment, professional training or safety education programming that keeps communities safe.
*—All amounts are based on annual forecasting estimates which, while reasonably accurate, may not align precisely with procurement spending totals reported elsewhere by Enbridge and may not reflect actual amounts spent.