T-South Reliability and Expansion Program
Enbridge is undertaking upgrades and a number of reliability enhancements on the southern portion of its natural gas transmission system (T-South) which stretches from south of Chetwynd, British Columbia, to the southernmost point at the Canada/U.S. border at Huntingdon/Sumas.
This work, known as the T-South Reliability and Expansion Program, will involve: replacing old compressor station units with new, more reliable and efficient units; adding an additional compressor station unit; and undertaking smaller upgrades and operational maintenance at various facilities along the system.
These upgrades are being done as part of operating a safe natural gas pipeline system, and to accommodate an incremental 190 MMcf/d of firm capacity.
- Type: Natural gas infrastructure
- Status: Preliminary work (clearing) began in late 2019; main construction to start in spring 2020
- Peak day capacity: Up to 190 MMcf/d
- Expected in-service date: Late 2021
- Ownership: Enbridge Inc. (100%)
- Operator: Enbridge Inc.
The program scope involves replacing old compressor station units and adding an additional compressor station unit as well as additional smaller upgrades and reliability enhancements at other locations along the T-South system. Five compressor units and associated equipment to support their operation will be installed at five existing compressor stations. The new compressor units will be quieter and more environmentally friendly than the existing units being replaced. They will make use of noise reduction and low emission technology that meet all environmental and regulatory requirements.
Compressor stations are used to move natural gas through a pipeline to maintain its flow and pressure. Over long distances, friction and geographic elevation differences slow the movement of gas and reduce its pressure. A compressor station gives the natural gas a “boost.” New units will be installed at:
- Compressor Station 3 near McLeod Lake B.C.
- Compressor Station 4A near Summit Lake, B.C.
- Compressor Station 4B near Hixon, B.C.
- Compressor Station 5 near Kersley, B.C.
- Compressor Station 6A near 150 Mile House, B.C.