Safeguarding the Great Lakes
We’re committed to safety in the Straits.
Safety is not only a core value at Enbridge; it’s the very foundation of our business. The people who live, work, and enjoy the waterways and land near our pipelines expect us to operate safely, and the protection of the public and the environment is our highest priority.
Our industry-leading integrity management programs rely on human and technological resources. These programs provide multiple layers of protection, as well as comprehensive leak-detection capabilities—and they’ve helped maintain the safety and reliability of Line 5 for more than six decades.
We take special precautions to protect the Great Lakes
The Straits of Mackinac is extraordinary. The health and the protection of these waterways are essential to the vitality, sustainability, and economic prosperity of Michigan, and the region overall. We take special precautions to ensure the continued safe and reliable operation of Line 5, particularly as it crosses the Straits.
Enbridge's suite of extra safety measures at the Line 5 Straits crossing includes:
- Diligent, 24/7 monitoring of the crossing, using both specially trained staff and sophisticated computer monitoring systems;
- Regular inspections, using inline tools, expert divers, and remote operating vehicles (ROVs);
- Operating the line at less than 25% of its maximum design capabilities, to minimize stress on the pipeline steel and enhance safety;
- Pursuing and advancing commercially available technology to prevent anchor strikes; and
- Supporting the Line 5 crossing’s extraordinary design and construction standards with proactive and robust maintenance.
Prevention is a critical component of pipeline safety, and we focus heavily on prevention at Enbridge before issues arise. While our ultimate goal is to prevent all spills and releases, we’re also committed, as a responsible pipeline operator, to providing a comprehensive incident response at any point along our pipeline network. Our Emergency Response Plan for the Superior Region includes Line 5 and the Straits of Mackinac.